I am guessing, if you are reading my blog, that you are like me and we have a similar passion for leadership. We want to be the best leaders we can be and we want to make a difference to the people we support. The trouble is we are often our own biggest critics – we are often too hard on ourselves and I am not sure that is always a good thing?
So in 2015 believe in yourself and give yourself a break:
- If you make mistakes (no one is perfect) accept that you will make mistakes, learn from them and keep going.
- Leadership stuff I have learned – don’t second guess yourself. You can only make the best judgement at the time with the facts in front of you
- It is easier to ask forgiveness than it is to ask for permission.
- No matter how busy or how much pressure you are under during your day, do one thing which you enjoy
- Book yourself a coaching or mentoring session with your coach or mentor. Talk through your dreams and aspirations (try and fix up one of these meetings at least bi-monthly)
- Record your successes and read through before you start your new week.
- When you are facing a crisis, and you are coming under pressure, tell yourself two things: I have faced this before how did I deal with it then? And 2. In 6 months’ time will this situation be such a big deal? Probably not.
- Reward yourself. Something I picked up from running – if I had a good race I rewarded myself. It could have been a new pair of running socks or an energy bar, it doesn’t have to be much, but it can make you feel a whole lot better. Give yourself a pat on the back.
- Laugh whenever you can – it is cheap medicine
- Regularly (daily is best) go for a walk. Take a break- you only need to find 30 minutes in your day. It will refresh you and it will give you the time to think.
5 things I will do in 2015 to be kind to myself:
- Only worry about stuff I can control
- Take care of my health
- Spend time with the people I love
- Have an alternative work – my voluntary work with SSAFA, for example
- Read one book a month
Take a step back and think about what you have in your life and be grateful for everything that comes your way. If it happens to be a failure, see it as your first and second step towards your next success. Understand that failure is not permanent and neither is success, so prepare for both this year.
Good Luck and my Best Wishes.